Astronomically Cool

Astronomically Cool

Welcome to TheBee'sKnees!

Welcome welcome welcome welcome welcome welcome to TheBee's Kneeeeees! I just wanted to say "Welcome!"

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Touchdoooown!

After a rain/fog delay, the space shuttle Discovery has safely returned home, marking the third-to-last of such missions.  The next one, originally scheduled for July, will probably be delayed, according to these guys.  The journey lasted fifteen days and crossed over six million miles to and from the International Space Center.  It should perhaps be noted that when I was searching for a detailed account of this story, I was bombarded with over six thousand news results alone.  This stuff isn't obsolete; (I was going to reference Season 1, Episode 3 of The Big Bang Theory here to explain how astronomy is more interesting than physics, but I can't seem to find the clip on YouTube).  (...But the transcript is here.)

2 comments:

  1. I was immensely disappointed by the fact that it was over 6000 instead of over 9000 =| Furthermore, was it a rain/fog delay, or was it due to gratuitous amounts of ash in the atmosphere due to the volcano in Iceland? *thoughtful chin stroking*

    Furthermore, it is potentially possible that you could find the episode on Hulu.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, was disappointed by the over six thousand. If I counted all of the results, not just the news ones, it was considerably over nine thousand, but I didn't think that emphasized the scope as well. I read that it was a rain/fog delay, but I did think about the possibility of atmospheric ash coming to play.... Also, I have never had much luck with Hulu.com. I think perhaps they don't upload full Big Bang episodes.

    ReplyDelete